Monday 26 July 2010

Let's Regress.

It was only a matter of time before the country went into a cultural depression but a mere 2 months after election and, well, it's happened.



The British Film Industry, is inarguably just as it states. It is first and foremost an industry. Just so happens to be one of the richest in talent, innovation and the most mind-stabbingly able to connect with every angle of society. As film industries go, we've hit it fairly spot on, or not, however you decide to look at it. I'll explain my thought process.

Financially explosive HOLLYWOOD Culturally lacking

Financially lacking INTERNATIONAL CINEMA Culturally explosive.

The British film industry is as I see it, a grey area. A middle ground. Not as booming in the pocket as Hollywood but altogether more original, creative and inspiring. Not quite as creative as international offerings of late but, still has a commercial edge. It's this balance that makes it such a fucking gem. Where the cogs of commercial successes (Streetdance 3D, Last King of Scotland and Bend It Like Beckham) generate funding to allow craftsmen/women such as Loach, Meadows and Arnold to meander, this imperfect machine has been crippled by our new Tory heroes.

During the World Cup, I was close to blogging about national pride. Some of the sights around, the fact that nothing more than an extra hotline was being offered to victims of domestic abuse around this time, open racism and nationalism prevailing. Each time I went to write, my angle was continuously skewed by the fact that I do actually feel proud of this nation at times. To be part of somewhere made up of all races, colours, religions - how the country breathes and feeds off each sector of society, it's something to be quite proud of.

Then there's that NHS thing, amazing.

THEN, there's the arts. The thing that makes me most proud to be British is the cultural richness of the arts. Every person is free to create and have their say, incidentally, a lot of this speaking out is done via the medium of film. I think it's fair to say that I have a fairly broad mind when it comes to pretty much anything, that's.how.broad.it.is. Coming from the background and area that I do, I could have easily been stunted in my personal politics but, I genuinely feel that it is film that has opened me up to different ways of life and shaped me into a more tolerant person. Mother, you may disagree.

Anyway.

The driving force behind these eye-openers, one of the main economic crutches, the UK Film Council, abolished. This is more historic than it seems you know, it's the start of Thatcher's dream - nation of drones. This country needs the industry to create and speak. If the practicalities aren't taken care of, we can all wave goodbye to awe inspiring, eye opening, breath stopping end products.

What next Jeremy? Museums and libraries? Yes? Oh.

It's a day for mourning, film lovers. Or, anyone with a brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment