Sunday 16 May 2010

Michael Haneke

I've just watched The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band) and this just progresses my fondness and admiration of Michael Haneke.

The reasons I love Michael Haneke can be found here.



Not only is he technically courageous, as evidenced alone in the opening scenes of Code Unknown (Code inconnu: Récit incomplet de divers voyages) - one 8 minute continuous shot to open the film, but his stories are incredibly humanistic. Throughout the whole of The Piano Teacher (La pianiste) I can't help but feel anxious and nervy, as if the release so desired by Huppert's character is a craving inflicted on the audience too.

I won't go on too much but I just had to mention this man. This is without even going into Hidden (Caché), Benny's Video or Funny Games. Haneke's films aren't just films - they're texts, pieces and crafts. Disturbing to the core, compassionate to the verge of tears and beyond innovative, Haneke never fails to shake and move me in every sense. I would urge every single person, who doesn't class subtitled films as 'weird' to go out and experience Michael Haneke - don't blame me when you're staring at the screen catching flies but, I do need someone to talk about him with, so if you do, let me know eh.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment